Saturday, December 06, 2008

Chronicles 67 - Bits and pieces


Delivered some pages to the UK producer which he loved... now have to deliver more... had some meetings in London, some positive, one bizzare... still waiting for finance funds to close (will I be saying the same thing in 10 years?)... MUST do some writing (must, must, must...)... I need to deliver more pages for the comedy assignment... I have been offered yet another historical assignment project... sounds interesting, but will these films EVER get made? Ahhh...there's the rub...

I had a meeting with a major European production company and distributor. The head of acquisitions really liked our short and he said his trusted reader gave a VERY positive response on my black comedy script... he will read this week... hope springs eternal...

Been reading a lot... Tolstoy, Toni Morrision, Updike, Iriving, Nathanael West, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Mailer, Michael Chabon, Vonnegut...

I loved The Great Gatsby, wonderful prose passages. Toni Morrison is a great writer - I read The Bluest Eye and look forward to reading more of her work. I much prefer Updike to Irving, enjoyed Rabbit Run but didn't particularly enjoy 'The World According to Garp', ended up speed reading my way through it at the end.

I'm in the middle of Anna Karenina. Tolstoy's great strength is an amazing psychological and philosophical insight into the human condition, the greatest passages are those where we are inside the characters' minds and souls. Having said that I find his style quite ponderous at times and dare I say it--prosaic. The language of Joyce mixed with the philosophical depth of Tolstoy, ahh, that would be something....

Ciao for now
SWU